Saturday, December 23, 2017

Cuningham Family

Cuningham/Cunningham and Clark Family
by Georgia E. (Cuningham) Warren 






This whole blog began as an envelope of pictures sent to me by my niece Melony (Cunningham) Karlik. But, it has to be more. There are two families here with interesting histories. One, the Cuningham/Cunningham of my father George Frederick Cuningham, the other my mother  Pearl Bell Clark (Cuningham).

Most of the pictures in the pages of this blog were taken either by Pearl Cuningham or James Alexander Cunningham George and Pearl's son).  The pictures my mother took reflected daily life and be light and sometimes funny. Most of them I remember. I am Jim's sister, Georgia, I was young and some of the pictures are faded both on the paper they are printed on and in my memory. You will in one way or another see all of us. I will do my best to tell you the stories that go with them.

The pictures Jim sent back to his mother were from Army life or pictures he took in Germany in the early 1950s.

If you know something more, let me know and I will add them to this blog. If you have other pictures send me scans and I will add them.

Now, it is time to start this post. I can't start writing about my family  without starting a bit further back. I need to tell you about Aunt Roxie Franklin. I can't talk about Aunt Roxie without starting a bit further back.

Those of us related to the Cunningham directly descended from Benjamin Franklin, yes, that Benjamin Franklin. 

Ben in his favorite hat, he wore this in France.


Ben the way most of us think about him.
Aunt Roxie was Ben Franklin's 5th or 6th great niece. She was very rich. From what George Frederick  Cuningham (my father) said she never married. Her Sister married Judson Cuningham (George Cuningham's parents) gave him a lot of her money and he became wealthy and owned a meat processing company in Rochester, NY. 

Now you notice my father spelled his last name differently than Jim Cunningham  that's not a mistake. I spelled my name Cuningham as well. It's ar long story, I am sure to tell it all to you before all of these pages are finished. It's exciting and involves religion, curses, Pagan people and more. 

Aunt Roxie moved to California, after Grandpoppa Judson Cuningham's  wife died he came to live with Grandpoppa George F. Cuningham (Melony's  grandfather) and his wife Pearl (Nana). 

Aunt Roxie gave Grandpoppa George Cuningham and Pearl Cuningham $5000 while Jim was in the army.  We all lived on Breckheimer Rd., outside of Little France NY.

A lot of the money was spent on upgrading the house and  a brand new car was purchased from PENOYER Ford dealer in Central Square, NY. It was the first and I believe the only new car Grandpoppa Cuningham ever had.

Now my dears, you get to see some pictures. 

House on Breckheimer. New chimney, scaffolding, driveway torn up.
Back of house, back porch torn off new doors being put on.

Back yard during renovation. Bing the dog.
View from back yard most of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment